The race for the 2018 CAMS, Carnarvon Motel WAORC has come down to a 2 horse race as we head into the final round, the Black Diamond Drilling Kalgoorlie Desert Race. Currently in front on 84 points is Colin Doney, with Jared Percival chasing hard in 2nd
How does Doney seal the 2018 WAORC?
- If Colin Doney finishes in 1st outright, Jared Percival must finish 3rd or worse for the #406 beetle to be crowned winner on a countback. If Doney finishes any position from 2nd through to 6th, he hope that he is 4 or more positions ahead of Jared Percival to take a guaranteed outright title. If Percival fails to finish or is not 9th or better, the Extreme 2wd competitors will take out this years CAMS, Carnarvon Motel WAORC
How does Percival claim the title?
- As long as Percival greets the checkered flag in the top 10 and within 3 positions of Colin Doney his title hopes are alive. Whilst a 1st or 2nd place finish will guarantee another outright title for the young driver. Rest assured the Percival Motorsport team will be throwing everything they can at this title decider knowing that a back to back title is withing their grasp
Who else can stand on the podium?
- Every competitor from Shane Elphinstone in 3rd through to Chris Unstead in 7th has a chance to finish in the top 3 outright. If Percival were to be a DNF Shane Elphinstone, Harleigh Uren and Darren Agrela all are in the hunt to claim 2nd outright
How the points work?
- Outright points are given to the top 20 finishers (of every km) of an event. First takes home 21 points, 2nd takes 19, 3rd 18, 4th 17 and so on down to 20th who takes 1 point. Over the course of the 6 rounds, competitors are allowed to drop their worst points, meaning that only their best 5 rounds count to the final total
The recent History?
- Jared Percival is no stranger to final race pressure. Last year after a colossal battle with Mal Yeardley, the Percival prevailed in the final section of the season finishing the race in an impressive 2nd outright. Colin Doney had a strong run at Kalgoorlie in 2017 chalking up a 4th outright. If he were to place in the same position again and Percival were 8th or worse the title would be going the way of the Extreme 2wd competitor